Thursday, November 17, 2005

Harry Potter - keeps me ticking over

The new Harry Potter film comes out tomorrow so no doubt all the little pre pubescents who are yet to discover Reader's Wives magazine (though I suppose it will be readerswives.com in this day and age) will be wetting themselves with excitement.

I was a latecomer on the Harry Potter bandwagon. Living abroad for over a year with little updates on what is going on back home other than football scores is quite a peculiar experience, things change! You arrive home and discover that your mushroom haircut and red YSL jacket are out of fashion (if they were ever actually in fashion) the number of football supporters for London clubs has mysteriously doubled, the most popular rap artist is white, and everyone child and adult alike is going mad for some children's book about a young wizard.

At first I thought it was stupid and embarrassing that all these adults were reading a children's book and calling themselves 'muggles' with their 'mates' in North London 'gastro' pubs (the latter is still inexcusable).

It was a stint of unemployment after finishing uni that converted me. I was bored , I would wake up at 4 PM rush to great dressed and pretend to my Mum who had just got home from work that I had been up for hours.

What kept me ticking over for a few weeks were Harry Potter I, II, III and IV, I read the four consecutively in a short space of time and was converted. I did then lose track of what was going on and only picked up the last two books recently. They make the journey to work pass in an instant and I am actually quite concerned about what I'm going to read when i've finished.

I can forgive J.K Iwasasinglemotheronbenefitsyouknow! Rowling for ripping off Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia big time in her books as long as she hurries up and gets number seven out to keep me ticking over for another few weeks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So my comments don't even stay on the blog now? When did you become so precious about your pretentious blog anyway? "New lang website"? doubtful, more an attempt from mush to showcase your intellect. "I'm a northerner... but i'm really clever and articulate".... saddest thing is, your "northern-ness" you mention in this blog is a load of crap, you could never survive in the north of england after being down there... it's the midlands for you my son!!

Why not make it a bit more about your real mates, and a bit less about impressing whoever you think reads it...

PS, harry potter entry was well overdue and am very disappointed at the content. hardly fits in with the "theme" that you so wanted to protect from my 2 humble writings.

November 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH GOSH....MESMO QUE VC IGNORE VOU ESCREVER ..PODE DELETar as u done on orkut ..MAIS TENTAR SEI INTELECTUAL NAUM SIGNIFICA Q TENHA Q ATRAVESSAR ALTAS BARREIRAS..I MEANT HARRY POTTER'S BOOKS..NAUM CUSPA NO PRANTO O QUAL VC NAUM SABE SE UM DIA IRA USAR...GOT IT?..I BEEN READING UR BLOGS...COOL I'D SAY...Patricia

November 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

come on mush... love you really x

November 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home