Thursday, November 10, 2005

Plagiarism

Has been a while since the last post! the honeymoon period in the new job is over, so idle afternoons thinking up new posts for the blogs are few and far between.

Further to my Arctic Monkeys - Believe the Hype post, I came across the below article in The Economist;

Monkey business
Oct 27th 2005 From The Economist print edition

Music charts began as a way for record labels to market their acts. How galling then for the industry that the number-one spot in this week's chart was taken by Arctic Monkeys, a band from Sheffield whose first professional single owes its existence not to the image-makers but to internet file-sharing. The band began by handing out free CDs with rough versions of songs at concerts. Songs were made available on the band's website and e-mailed between fans. Now, says Johnny Bradshaw of Domino (the label that belatedly signed the band), when Arctic Monkeys play concerts, 1,500 people sing along to songs that have not yet been released. Even more sweetly, the band seized the top spot from the Sugababes, a manufactured pop act with sculpted eyebrows and perfect hair. Though bands have used the internet to market themselves before, none has won such commercial success without the help of a record company. If I were a major record label, I'd be firing my A&R man,says Mr Bradshaw. There is some comfort for the industry as it contemplates the threat to its revenues from the internet, though: at least enough fans went and bought the single to send it to number one.

Mixed feelings about this article, my initial reaction was 'oi I said that first' with specific regard to the observations that their 'first professional single owes its existence not to the image-makers but to internet file-sharing' and 'when Arctic Monkeys play concerts, 1,500 people sing along to songs that have not yet been released'. Whilst I want to accuse the world renowned publication of plagiarism, at the same time I feel an element of smugness that similar things are being written about in The Economist as my two bob blog.

Another issue to take into consideration is that now that the band have reached number one in the charts, a place usually reserved for the likes of Westlife, Crazy Frog, and reality show winners, and press coverage extends even to the 'uncool' Economist, I think perhaps being an Arctic Monkeys fan no longer makes you 'cool' and 'cutting edge'.

Will I now become like the music boffins Henry 'I interviewed them at Coventry uni when they were unknowns' Norman, Marcelo 'I liked Keane before the rest of Brazil did' Paiva, or Captain 'I don't like them any more because they are to commercial' Beancod, and start spouting the 'I liked them before everybody else did' Cliche?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two points mush.

'I don't like them any more because they are to commercial'

1)I would spell 'too' correctly. shmeerr

2) Since when was the economist deemed 'uncool'...

Also the same article on internet/arctic monkeys has been written in the Guardian/Times/BBC online etc etc...

November 10, 2005  
Blogger Matt said...

Captain Beancod,

1) we weren't all educated at Cambridge (ok I should have learnt 'to' and 'too' at primary school)
2)The Economist is not uncool thats why i put it in inverted commas.


schmuuuuuuuuuuur

November 10, 2005  
Blogger Benedito said...

like I said:
most brazilians started liking Keane when they were in a shitty soupopera soundtrack. I liked before and now I´m tired of listening to Keane on every radio station.
I´m downloading the Artic Monkeys, and maybe they won´t be in any soupopera soundtrack.

November 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home