Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Have you ever been 'Googled'?

I was watching rom-com 'Hitch' with Will Smith the other day, which like a few other films of its genre (Notting Hill, Four Weddings) I will have to begrudgingly admit that it is quite amusing! I learnt a new verb from the film, uber-fit Eva Mendes talks to her single girlfriends about 'googling' their potential suitors. This was new to me, it means looking up individuals on Google search engine (not bowling a deceptive delivery at them with a cricket ball).

Having given it a bit of further thought I have in one form or another been 'googling' people for a few years now just didn't know that there actually existed a word for this.

This has been most useful prior to job interviews I find that 'Friends Reuniteding' your interviewers often provides you with a wealth of information about them that has come in useful in my last two successful job interviews.

Given this success I have also resorted to 'Yahooing' potential flatmates. I discovered that my newest housemate was actually a succsessful musician reassuring me that he wasn't using the term musician as a pseudonym for unemployed bum.

It makes me think what if someone 'Googled' me. Since my devious pre-interview preparation on Friends Reunited I have ammended my profile to make it more inoffensive. Given that my first name probably only comes second to James for most common name for middle class white boys in their 20s and O'Connor is as common as Smith in Ireland it should be rather unsurprising that Googling myself came up with 22,600 results, a selection of which follow;

Matthew O'Connor

-Was part of the executive production team for films such as; Face Off, Pirates of the Caribbean and War of the Worlds

- Founded pressure group Father's for Justice with their penchant for climbing up famous landmarks in super hero outfits

- Was stuck down the sink in Steven King's IT (I remember watching this bit and crapping myself)

- Is a Doctor in a work of Lesbian Literature called Nightwood described as; a poverty - stricken alcoholic who is pleasurably inclined towards homosexuality, transvestitism, and self - demoralization

For Googling someone to really work they need a bit more of a unique name than mine. I found out that Tyrone is in the City University team for the Jessop Moot competition (????), Daryush once applied for an English teaching job in Istanbul and Marc took nearly as much exception to Big Brother 2005 housemate Makosi as he does to this blog.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

quality entry again mush, great film too, wonder how much google paid for that name drop... also got me thinking... so I just "googled" myself... and when the search returned, it asked me the immortal question...

"Did you mean: marcaddy?"

Errrr, I think not.

November 25, 2005  
Blogger Benedito said...

I didnĀ“t like that movie very much. Kinda like a girly movie or something like that.
I googled my name and most of the results are about a Brazilian writter, Marcelo Rubens Paiva.

December 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the Philip C. jessup International Moot Court Competition is an oh-so-prestigious mock trial competition involving law schools througout the world arguing points of international law. participation is said to be fun and stand out like a beacon on the all-important CV.

December 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home